Saturday, October 1, 2011

Couscous with Cranberries & Mint


DSC_0034

I’m gonna keep this short and sweet.  Because that’s what this recipe is.  Short and sweet.  Not in the literal sense of short or sweet, but it’s easy and delicious, and isn't that all that really matters?

DSC_0033

It is.  Especially in recipes like this.

DSC_0035

My friend Nick recommended the flavor combination of mint and cranberries in couscous, and let me say that it was one of the best recommendations that I’ve gotten in a while.  The mint and cranberries really compliment each other more than I’d anticipated, and the slightly salty couscous helps to tie the flavors together even more.

DSC_0023

I’d make this again in a heartbeat... if I hadn’t already stolen all the mint off of my roommate’s plant.  So I guess I’ll just have to wait for another day.  But when that day comes and that mint plant has leaves again I’ll be jumping onto this recipe faster than you can say yum.  

DSC_0012

In all honesty this recipe takes about ten minutes.  Five if you’re coordinated, but I wouldn’t know what that’s like. So, try this now.  If you get everything ready before hand this recipe will be ready before you know it. Try it, you won’t regret it.

DSC_0037

Here’s what you’ll need:
1 cup couscous
1 1/2 - 2 cups chicken broth
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 - 4 tbsp fresh mint
1/2 cup chopped almonds

DSC_0014


In a medium sauce pan melt butter and add couscous.  Coat couscous in butter and add broth.  Bring the broth to a simmer and cover.  Cook for five minutes and place aside.

DSC_0030

Chop mint, cranberries, and almonds and place in a bowl.  Add couscous and mix together.  Serve warm or hot depending on your preference.  

    No comments:

    Post a Comment