Monday, August 22, 2011

Salt River Bars

DSC_0666

As much as I post about different desserts on this blog I don’t really have a sweet tooth.  I know it might be hard to believe, but when it comes to baked goods I’ll take salty/sweet over just sweet any day. 


DSC_0660


That’s why I love these salt river bars. Do I know why they’re called salt river bars?  No.  Do I care?  No.  Could I eat an entire 8x8 pan of these in one sitting?  Absolutely.  



DSC_0627

They’re salty, chocolaty, crispy, peanut buttery, and amazing.   If I could I’d hide in my room and eat these all day I would. Thankfully I’ve got amazing friends that take food like this away from me so I eat real food... and leave my house.  If I didn’t have said friends I don’t think I’d be writing this post.  In reality I’d probably be knee deep in thousands of these trying to eat my way out. 



DSC_0662

Sure I’m exaggerating, but not by much.  As someone who can’t really eat too many sweets, these have easily become one of my biggest guilty pleasure foods.  And it takes a lot to get to that list.  So, make these now.  I mean it; they’re easy and absolutely delicious.  Make them for a party, or for a snack, or  for yourself.  They’re worth it.



Here’s what you’ll need (from here):
1 box Club Crackers 
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups peanut butter chips 
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
coarse sea salt


DSC_0605

Line an 8x8 pan with foil and grease it.  Place 15 crackers on the bottom of the pan and sprinkle peanut butter chips over the crackers.  

DSC_0609

Melt brown sugar and sugar in a saucepan until they start to bubble around the edges and it has turned smooth and creamy.  


DSC_0610

Pour a third of the mix over the crackers and spread it evenly.

DSC_0611

Place another layer of crackers and peanut butter chips and pour the carmel on top again.  Repeat this one more time and then place a final layer of crackers on top.  


DSC_0614

Melt the chocolate chips in a bowl in the microwave for 30 second intervals mixing after each one.  When the chocolate is fully melted pour on top of the crackers and spread evenly.

DSC_0659

Place in the refrigerator to cool and after about 10 minutes take out and sprinkle sea salt onto the chocolate.  Put back into the refrigerator and let the chocolate cool completely.  When the chocolate has cooled completely remove from the refrigerator and cut into squares.  

Now, if you finished this post before starting to make these there's something wrong with you.  Go. Make. Eat.  Every second you're wasting reading this is a second that you're not eating one of these.  

No comments:

Post a Comment