Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day Grill Seasoning

DSC_0583


Have I mentioned that I have the best Dad ever?  Because if I haven’t I should.  I have the best Dad ever.  His name is Gil, and he’s smart, funny, kind, caring, down to earth, and just all around awesome.  And I’m not just saying that because it’s Father’s day today (Happy Father’s Day to all you dads out there)!


DSC_0586


This year for Father’s Day I wanted to get my Dad something special that I knew he’d not only like, but really appreciate as well.  Being broke limited my options greatly so I decided to make him something.  First I was planning on making a macaroni portrait for him, but that’s a bit dated.  So I got a little adventurous and made him some grill rubs this year.  It’s a super easy and not too expensive gift that definitely means a lot to someone that loves to grill.  If you’re the griller in your family you should give them a shot! They’re definitely worth it! 


DSC_0585


Here’s what you’ll need:

For the Montreal Steak Seasoning (adapted from here):
4 tbsp salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 ½ tsp onion powder
2 ½ tsp garlic powder
1 ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 ½ tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp fennel seed

For the cayenne seasoning (adapted from here):
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried thyme
4 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp onion powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper


DSC_0584


For both recipes combine the spices in a bowl and mix thoroughly.  Pour into an airtight container and seal.  When using the mixes apply a layer that covers the fish, chicken, beef, or whatever your heart desires and cook.  You can add more while the dish is cooking, but don’t over season.  The spices will stay good for as long as you have them!

No comments:

Post a Comment