Sunday, April 10, 2011

Honey Corn Muffins

I’m a terrible multi-tasker.  No really. An absolutely god awful, spastic and uncoordinated multi-tasker. 

I can’t talk on the phone while being around other people. I can’t run and chew gum at the same time (really). I can’t read and listen to the music at the same time unless someone else is picking what music is playing.

DSC_0055

But even though my ability to multi-task is terrible my memory is amazing.  I’m being completely honest; I get made fun of by my sister Courtney because I remember every little detail, even the ones that no one else ever remembers.  Luckily, this means that when I make a promise I’m usually good at following through with them… even if it takes a month and a half. This is exactly what happened with these corn muffins; here’s the story:

A month and a half ago I was interviewing some students with one of the area coordinators (people in charge of RAs) at Wheaton.  When lunch time came around he went down to the café only to find out that there weren’t any corn muffins.  After realizing that his stomach’s dreams had been crushed he returned to the office all forlorn and upset.  To make him feel better I told him I’d make him some corn muffins to make up for the day that they didn’t have any at the café.  It’s been while but we both still remember that I promised him corn muffins.  Today was the day that I finally got around to making them.

DSC_0056

I found the recipe on FoodNetwork.com, it’s from Pat and Gina Neeley, two Memphis resturaunt owners, so you know it’s going to be good.  The muffins are light and fluffy, but they’re very flavorful, but not overpowering, and what's even better is that all of the ingredients can be found in any grocery store.  Considering how simple the recipe is and how delicious the muffins are, it’s worth it.  You should definitely give them a shot, even if you have no experience in the kitchen. Anyone can make these muffins, and I really mean anyone.  

DSC_0058

Here’s what you’ll need – Recipe can be found here:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
½ stick butter, melted
¼ cup honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  Line a 12-muffin tin with muffin cups and place aside.

DSC_0027

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients: cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.

DSC_0038

In a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients: milk, eggs, butter and honey so that they’re combined.  Be careful when adding the hot butter to the eggs, you don’t want the butter to cook the eggs. 

DSC_0039

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together until they’re incorporated.  The mixture will be fluffy and somewhat thick; this is a perfect consistency to spoon out into the cupcake tins.  Spread the batter out evenly between the tins and place in the 400 degree oven for 15 minutes. 

DSC_0053

You’ll know the muffins are done when they’re golden-brown around the edges. 

No comments:

Post a Comment