Friday, March 4, 2011

Peanut Sesame Noodles

Ramen is a wonderful thing.  Well, not really, but when you step outside of the boring college student version of Ramen, it’s a wonderful thing.  It’s incredibly cheap, and even though it isn’t healthy, when prepared correctly, it can be pretty delicious.  So this week, I decided to take on the challenge of making ramen noodles more interesting, but still super easy.  And with the help of Gourmet Magazine I think I was able to accomplish this. 

DSC_0041

Ever since seventh grade I’ve had somewhat of a love affair with cold sesame noodles.  They’re chewy and nutty and they really hit the spot when you’re not in the mood for traditional fried Chinese food.  After seeing this recipe on epicurious I knew that I needed to make it (especially since I got my very own processor this week)!

DSC_0029

This recipe is all I could have ever wanted and more.  Its nutty, creamy, and just a little bit spicy.  I added red bell peppers and cucumbers which help cool down the red pepper flakes, but feel free to change the ingredients around.  This is really a great recipe that’s so easy to make and the leftovers are even better.   I’m amazed I haven’t made it again.  You really really need to try this recipe… I’m salivating just thinking about it right now. 

Here’s what you’ll need: (Adapted from the June 2002 issue of Gourmet Magazine)
For peanut dressing:
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 medium garlic clove, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar ( I only had champagne vinegar so I used that)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Asian sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes


For noodle salad:

  • 3/4 lb dried linguine fini or spaghetti (I used ramen)
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • ½-1 cucumber


In a blender or a food processor mix the ingredients for the peanut dressing until smooth.  In a blender this will take about 2 minutes, with my food processor it took about 1 minute.  Let sit until pasta is cooked. 

DSC_0036

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the package directions.  While draining it rinse it under cold water to cool the noodles off quickly. 

DSC_0038

While the pasta is cooking dice at least one half of a cucumber and one red bell pepper and place aside. 

DSC_0040

Add the bell peppers and the cucumbers to the dressing and toss with the cooled pasta.  Make sure all of the noodles are coated and serve immediately. 

DSC_0042

No comments:

Post a Comment