Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One Bowl Chocolate Cake

This winter has been so incredibly long and drawn out that I almost feel like I don’t know what to do with myself.  I keep hoping for spring, but all I get is another week of winter.  So I thought that maybe if I make a recipe that is the epitome of comfort food that you want on a winter day, spring would actually come.  I don’t know if this will actually work, but it’s worth a shot.  I also really just wanted an excuse to make this recipe again; it’s so incredibly easy (I know I say that a lot, but this time I mean it.  This might be the easiest recipe I’ve posted on this website).


DSC_0251



I’m sure you’ve seen recipes for chocolate mug cakes around the internet, but a lot of them look dry and almost too cakey I found this recipe on babble.com and it was everything I’d hoped I would ever find in a chocolate cake.  It was moist, rich, a little nutty and so incredibly easy (did I say that already?)  This is perfect comfort food to end a bad day with, and it tastes good enough to serve when you’ve got company.
 

DSC_0255


Now, if you can’t tell this was too big for me to actually make in any of the mugs that I have, so I chose to use a microwave safe bowl.  You can use whichever you’d prefer.  But be warned: this makes a surprisingly large amount of cake.  You can definitely split this between 2-4 people, especially if you serve it with ice cream on the side… Just sayin’.

I know I’m repeating myself, but this recipe is so easy anyone that can count to four can make it.  I’m not joking.  Here’s what you’ll need:
4 tablespoons self rising flour
4 tablespoons white granulated sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons Nutella *
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

*You could probably substitute peanut butter for Nutella if you don’t like hazelnuts.  Just a thought.


DSC_0246


Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until all of the ingredients are combined and smooth.  Put the bowl into the microwave and cook for 1 ½ minutes to 3 minutes depending on the strength of your microwave.  I microwaved mine for about as long as it typically takes me to heat a bowl of soup.    When you take the bowl out of the microwave use oven  mitts since the bowl will be hot.  Let sit for a few minutes and enjoy.
 

DSC_0248


You can add toppings like powdered sugar, whipped cream, ice cream, nuts, or essentially anything you want to put on a chocolate cake!  So give it a shot, you won’t be disappointed!


No comments:

Post a Comment