Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Hummus

DSC_0595

Sometimes it takes me a lot of effort to write a blog post, it can take hours just to think of what to write or how to say what I want to say, and sometimes when I finish I delete the entire post because I’m not happy with how it turned out.  I hope that leads to better blog posts, but sometimes it just leads me to not posting at all.  If you’re wondering, this post has been one of those challenges, so here goes nothing:

DSC_0590

I’m convinced that hummus is one of the greatest foods on this planet.  It’s creamy, hearty, healthy, and delicious with anything you can conceive of putting on it.  Back in school during especially bad days I’d knock back an entire container of hummus in one sitting, and I’m not talking about the small containers either.  Hummus is one of my many comfort foods, but it’s one of my favorites because it’s so easy to make and customize.  You can add roasted red peppers, or sun dried tomatoes and basil, or chilies in adobo, or really whatever your stomach desires. 

DSC_0594

If you’ve never tried hummus you need to, even my mom likes it… and that’s saying something.  So give it a shot, it’s easy, cheap and delicious; which makes it worth it in my mind!

DSC_0594

Here’s what you’ll need:
1 15.5 oz can of chick peas/garbanzo beans drained
5 tbsp tahini (between ¼ cup and ½ cup)
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 ½ tsp salt
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne powder

DSC_0585

Drain the can of chick peas and save the drained fluid.

DSC_0593

Half the garlic cloves and place aside.  Place all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  If you want a more smooth consistency add some of the liquid from the can and continue to process

DSC_0598

Spoon into bowl and refrigerate before serving.  The hummus will keep in a refrigerator for up to a week.  



Drain the can of chick peas and save the drained fluid. Half the garlic cloves and place aside.  Place all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.  If you want a more smooth consistency add some of the liquid from the can and continue to process   Spoon into bowl and refrigerate before serving.  Will stay in refrigerator for up to a week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment