Monday, January 17, 2011

Egg Drop Soup - Stracciatella

IMG_0300

My parents went out of town a few weeks ago and left me in charge of the house. This, of course, means cooking for myself. I don’t mind cooking, but sometimes cooking for one can be a pain. Sometimes you have so much left over you don't know what to do with it and other times you eat so much you end up in a food coma for the weekend.

While sitting at home, cuddling with my dog I was thinking about what I should make myself fod dinner that night. I was craving soup, but I wanted something simple and homemade. I decided to make myself some Italian egg-drop soup (also known as stracciatella). This is a very very simple soup that’s easy to make, whether it's for one person or four.

IMG_0317

All you need is:

2 cups of low-sodium chicken stock

1/3 cup of parmesan cheese I used a lot of parmesan cheese for this recipe, but that’s because I love cheese (In my opinion the more cheese the better).

1 eggs

Salt and pepper

First, start by bringing the two cups of chicken stock to a boil and then lower to a simmer.

IMG_0293

While the stock is boiling mix the parmesan cheese and the egg together until they’re completely mixed.

IMG_0309

(this is before they were mixed)

Finally, while the stock is simmering, slowly pour the egg and cheese mixture into the soup and stir it while you pour it in. Let it cook for about two minutes and then add salt and pepper to taste.

IMG_0312

For some variations on this recipe you can add peas, spinach, parsley or any combination of vegetables that you’d like. I chose to add a bit of nutmeg which added more depth to the flavor of the soup. But feel free to play with it, and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment